2020 Wabash City Schools July Athletics
Wabash will open athletic facilities for all sports beginning on Monday, July 6, 2020. Summer workouts / conditioning programs are voluntary and open to all students. The official start for fall sports is August 3rd. Those students that do not attend July workouts may still try out for teams on August 3rd.
JULY WORKOUT RULES AND REGULATIONS
- Athletic physicals and ALL forms must be complete prior to student participation. The IHSAA is allowing physicals from 19-20 to be used in 20-21, however, there is a waiver form that must be completed prior to activity by a parent or guardian. The newly released IHSAA release must be completed. NOTE – ANY “YES” answer on the IHSAA waiver will mandate a new physical. Athletes may still choose to have a new physical for 20-21 and those may be obtained on-line or in the athletic office.
- Prior to workouts/conditioning athletes will be required to do a self-screening process for the COVID symptoms. If you have any of the following, do NOT attend any school activities.
Symptoms Impacting Consideration for Exclusion from school or school related activities:
- A fever of 100.4° F or greater
- Shortness of breath or difficulty breathing
- Repeated shaking with chills
- Muscle pain
- Sore throat
- New loss of taste or smell
Students and employees should be excluded from school if they test positive for COVID-19 or exhibit one or more of the symptoms of COVID-19 based on CDC Guidance that is not otherwise explained.
- Attendance will be collected each session.
- Athletes will wash their hands with soap and water or use hand sanitizer prior to the beginning of workouts.
- All athletes will be required to bring their own water bottle, towel, etc. The athlete’s name must be clearly written on the water bottle. Athletes can NOT share their water bottle.
- Locker rooms will not be available. Restrooms will be available at each facility. Social distancing is encouraged.
- Shared equipment (balls, weight equipment, etc., and any other equipment shared by athletes) will be cleaned at the end of each session.
- Practice gear and uniforms must be washed immediately after use by a staff member wearing appropriate PPE.
- The students will wear masks/face coverings when not engaging in vigorous activity and when practical.
- The wearing of masks/face coverings is required for coaches.
- Coaches will register with the athletic director for approval 10 days in advance of the activity. Priority scheduling will be given to fall coaches first; winter coaches second; and spring coaches third.
- All activities will be on EVENTLINK.
ATHLETE EXPECTATIONS DURING JULY WORKOUTS
- DO NOT attend workouts if you are not feeling well, have a fever or have recently been exposed to the COVID 19 virus.
- Do not attend workouts if you have been exposed to COVID-19 until you have gone through the proper quarantine which is 14 days from the time of exposure.
- Wash workout clothes after each day’s session.
- When not working out, keep a reasonable distance from teammates when possible.
- Wash hands after using the restroom.
- Do not share water bottles, gloves, or other workout items.
- Make sure your ride, if necessary is here when the workout is finished. Students should not be congregating while waiting for their ride home.
- No parents will be allowed during conditioning sessions.
- We will not be monitoring student’s transportation to and from workouts. If an athlete is riding to and from workouts with another athlete, all parents should be aware and grant permission.
Phase I: July 6-19
- Student-athletes are limited to 15 hours of school contact a week. No Sundays.
- Each sport is limited to two days a week for sport specific activities. These may not occur on consecutive days. Coaches will register their activity days with the Athletic Director at least 10 days in advance.
- Conditioning is limited to 4 days a week for no more than 2 hours a day. Student-athletes may only attend one conditioning session a day.
- Free weight exercises requiring a spotter cannot be conducted.
- Only essential student-athletes and staff should be in attendance.
Locker rooms cannot be utilized. Student-athletes should report in appropriate gear and return home to shower. Restrooms will be available with social distancing encouraged.
Phase II: July 20-August 15
- Limitations on contact are lifted to normal summer guidelines.
- Locker rooms can be utilized at 50% capacity.
- Free weight exercises requiring a spotter can be conducted.
- No formal competitions are allowed except for girl’s golf.
Phase III: August 15
- Competitions can begin.
- Spectators, media, and vendors can be present, but should follow social distancing and mass gathering guidelines.
FORMS TO BE TURNED INTO TO BE ELIGIBLE:
- If using 2019-20 Physical, the IHSAA Questionaire and the Consent and Release From
- If not using 2019-20 physical; 2020-21 Physical
- Updated Parkview Sports Medicine Form